Covid-19 : “The Belgian government extends the reinsurance programme”. Click here
Political Risk Insurance for Investments
Available in the following countries: Belgium.
Cover of investment by a Belgian company in a foreign company via equity/quasi-equity or via a structured loan from the Belgian company or a third party (e.g. a bank). Credendo – Export Credit Agency covers political risks (commercial risks are excluded).
- Prevents helplessness of the Belgian investor/foreign company when faced with political risks
- Flexible cover, adjustable to the specific needs of each investment
“Credendo – Export Credit Agency offers a complete range of products to protect Belgian companies against risks abroad.”
- Categories of investments are equity, structured loans and quasi-equity
- Credendo – Export Credit Agency covers a Belgian company investing in equity (or quasi-equity) in a company abroad
- Credendo – Export Credit Agency also covers a Belgian company or third party (e.g. a bank) financing this investment via a structured loan to a company abroad
- 6 covered events: expropriation, political violence, business interruption, currency inconvertibility and transfer restriction, award default, embargo
- Clearly defined compensation mechanism for each covered event
A Belgian company investing in equity (or quasi-equity) in a foreign company can ask for cover of the equity against political risks. In the same way, a Belgian company or third party granting a structured loan to a foreign company can ask for cover of the loan against political risks.
Credendo – Export Credit Agency covers a range of well-defined political risks in six potential events (commercial risks are excluded). An equity investment is capital invested in a foreign company, i.e. in a new subsidiary, a joint venture or shares acquired in a foreign company. A structured loan is financing provided by a Belgian company or third party (e.g. a bank) for such investment in a foreign company with a repayment schedule. Quasi-equity is a hybrid instrument with characteristics of both equity and structured loans, but with no predetermined repayment schedule.
Credendo – Export Credit Agency pays compensation for any loss principally caused by a covered event during the policy period.
- Political violence (including terrorism)
- Business interruption (as a consequence of political violence damage)
- Currency inconvertibility and transfer restriction (no hard currency can be converted or transferred)
- Award default (regarding a contractual agreement between a foreign company and foreign authorities/public entities)
- Embargo (imposed by the foreign country)
- Book value approach for expropriation and political violence (in the case of final loss)
- Compensation of loss of income in the case of business interruption or embargo
- Compensation of loss of the amount that could not be transferred or reimbursed in the case of currency inconvertibility and transfer restriction
- Pricing is different for each type of investment
- Percentage of coverage is chosen for each covered event
- Premium is due on an annual basis
Credendo – Export Credit Agency offers a complete range of products to protect Belgian companies against risks abroad. As the official Export Credit Agency for Belgium, Credendo – Export Credit Agency complies with OECD rules concerning the structure of transactions and investments abroad as well as the regulated premium percentage.
Get in touch with the right expert near you.